Sunday, June 15, 2008

Aoyama














Today I went to an area by the name of Aoyama, which was near Harajuku (a very fashionable area I visited last week).  These two neighborhoods blend together seamlessly, yet do have a slightly different vibe from one another.  Aoyama is a little more laid back, while equally as stylish.  While Harajuku is a little more upbeat and overrun with tourists.  The above picture was taken while walking in nearby Harjuku to get to Aoyama.  This is, apparently, where someone lives with their front porch also acting as a driveway.  Also, look at the bike in the background for reference on how small that car actually is.















I couldn't resist taking this picture, as it reminded me of the outfit worn by the young man in the post from yesterday.  So, this is the new up-to-the-minute fashionable outfit I should be wearing?  Imagine me walking into class to teach in this.
 














This was the final block walking from Harajuku into Aoyama.  A mass of people crowded together along this narrow block, filled with shops and boutiques.  It took a while to wade through all of this and it wasn't even that long.












Along with the mass of people, part of what held me up along the way was this.  I'm not even sure what it is called, but I saw a long line of local Japanese waiting to order and it caught my eye.  I've figured out pretty quickly that if the Japanese are eating it, then it's a safe bet that I should at least try it.  It is basically a soft crepe; filled with ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate sauce and strawberries.  I have to admit, this was a true treat for me, after eating nameless and unknown food throughout almost the past two weeks. 















Finally in Aoyama, I realized how incredible the architecture was along the walk.  This was a building whose facade was made of concrete, but you could see through the holes to multiple floors with glass.  Very interesting and reminiscent of angular swiss cheese.















I also came along what I think is a house or small apartment building.  You can gauge the scale of the building based on the car parked on street level.  This was also made of concrete, utilizing its small space very effectively, with great angles.  














This was the building right next to that one and I couldn't resist taking another picture.  Very interestingly done and a nice mixture of steel and concrete.  Notice the lack of people around these last couple of pictures.  This area had a very different feeling, while being equally as fashionable.














On the way home in the subway station, I came by this sign.  I have no idea what it says, but find it funny that the man in the picture is bowing.














Also taken on my way to the subway, I realized that the products showcasing what is available in the vending machines are actually only half of the actual bottle.  Very strange to see.  Did they cut these in half or where they manufactured specifically for this purpose?

2 comments:

Scott said...

Ben, you'd be a big hit teaching in that outfit, c'mon, those cute shorts, the red eyed fish, bubbles, mix 'n match patterns, and the serape! It's you! No more earth toned, understated, slightly rumpled Ben, but a daring new fashionista (you might want to do something with your hair, too)! Think of the splash you'd make with Mindi when you got home. And you could start your very own Saint Rose/Albany Cosplay Gang.

Anonymous said...

I must respectfully disagree.
:)