Friday, June 20, 2008

Kyoto Afternoon Walk














After arriving in Kyoto via bullet train from Tokyo, I checked into my ryokan and immediately decided my agenda for the day.  There was a suggested walking itinerary in one of my guidebooks that covered a lot of sights in about a half-day, which was about the exact time I wanted to spend.  Since I traveled from Tokyo, it was about 2 in the afternoon.  After realizing that there weren't many subway options, the bus seemed the way to get around.  I figured out the bus system with a couple of maps and my trusty compass.  This was the beginning of the walk, along Higashioji-dori, after getting off the bus.











After the walk uphill, this is what it finally led to: Kiyomizu-dera, an ancient temple first built in 798, but reconstructed in 1633.  These buildings are famous landmarks and are part of an affiliated branch of Buddhism, called Hosso.














These were some pictures inside the large complex, which twisted back into the hillside, revealing more and more structures.




























The pagoda, which could be seen as far away as the beginning of the walk down the hillside.











Looking back over the complex from the walkway that I came up.  You can see the people vanishing back into the distance and just barely make out the rest of the city below, along with the mountains.











These are wooden tablets, that can be purchased and then written on- with a wish or desire for happiness or luck.  They are then supposed to be presented during the prayer service by the monks (don't know when this happens).






















School children from all over Japan are always around the shrines and temples.  Sort of similar to visiting the state capital or nation capital.  It makes a lot of sense why they are there, but it took me a while to catch on.  











The view overlooking the grounds back to the city below.














A stone statue on the grounds of the complex.














On to the next sight, after a lengthy walk through side streets and gardens: Yasaka Pagoda.  Really just a quick stop for pictures and viewing the pagoda.














This led to Ninen-zaka, a quaint little street, lined with historic houses, shops and teahouses.  A pleasant walk, with very little people out.  After some window shopping and not paying attention to anything at all, I turned around and saw these three lovely ladies walking down the block...











Actual Geisha, which were nice enough to pose with me for a picture.  I really couldn't pass this up, as there are as little as around 100 in Kyoto.  In one of my guidebooks, it did say that this street was the most likely place to run into them.  I just didn't think that I would actually see some and that they would be comfortable enough to pose for pictures.  











After another lengthy walk, this led to Nanzen-ji.  I actually arrived too late and it was closed.  I realized that the sights on the last quarter of my walk would probably be closed, because I had started out a little later in the afternoon.  I decided to end my day here, the walk total ended up being about 5 hours.  Besides being incredibly tired, it started to rain and I felt it was a good full first day in Kyoto.

1 comment:

Chris Beers said...

Hey Ben! Your posts are terrifically interesting. I'm glad you can experience Japan (an entirely different world I'm sure and I hope you learn and learn!

Chris