Thursday, June 5, 2008

Sumidagawa River











As I was out walking yesterday, I realized that I was close to the Sumidagawa River- which cuts through eastern Tokyo.  I meandered on to see what the view was like and was absolutely amazed by what I found.  For me, this is as exciting as it gets.  This view is looking West on the Komagata-bashi Bridge.












Looking North up the Sumidagawa River.












Yesterday I had to finalize arrangements for my apartment and went to the rental corporation office.  (Per many requests, I will post pictures of the apartment)  As I was walking in a neighborhood by the name of Gotanda, I saw this row of bikes and couldn't resist taking this picture.  I am an avid biker and appreciate how much I see the Japanese riding their bikes.  














One of the many interesting things about Japan are the strange signs all over the place.  Extreme sensory overload is commonplace and it is easily distracting to someone who is so visual.  On my way out yesterday I saw this sign on the sidewalk.  (Notice my foot for orientation.)   Later in the day I took the subway and saw a Japanese sign translated into English that said "This vehicle is to weaken an condition".  Unfortunately, I forgot my camera and don't ask what that means.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

I am enjoying your pictures and commentary. What an adventure. You are living a great life, enjoy! Aunt Tricia

Scott said...

Don't smoke while walking, hmmm. Seems sensible, I suppose, but what public purpose does it serve? Is it like not using a cell phone while driving? Do folks get distracted and bump into each other on the sidewalk?

Nice sneaks, by the way. Perry's?