Saturday, June 28, 2008

Japanese Food











I've had a number of questions about my typical meals in Japan.  Throughout the month, I experimented a lot with food.  But, I have to be honest, I did have 'western style' food to balance everything out.  There was a supermarket close by my apartment that had a mixture of Japanese style and western style food.  So, typically I would have Japanese food and then fix something at home, every other day (like peanut butter and jelly).  I know, not very glamorous, but I had to do it to cut down on costs and break up the monotony of having the same thing.  I did take a few pictures at a conveyer belt sushi place for lunch to give an idea of a typical lunch.  Above, the sushi chef prepares the dishes to be placed on the conveyer belt.  You can then take anything that looks good.  You are charged at the end of the meal, based upon how many dishes you have. 












The next few images are just examples of dishes available as they were coming around on the conveyer belt.











I'm not sure what any of this is, but can guarantee it is some sort of raw fish.











On this particular day, I had a set dish which consisted of miso soup, two bowls of rice with fish on top.  One was raw tuna and the other was a mystery, that I think was also another kind of fish, with salmon roe (fish eggs) on top.  This kind of set dish can also be ordered in lieu of the conveyer belt sushi.












I also took this picture at my last official sit-down dinner in Tokyo.  After ordering a sampler set dish of sushi, this came out along with the rest of the sushi on my plate.  It is baby octopus, that I think was boiled.  I, of course, had to try it and surprisingly it wasn't bad.  Not too different in texture and taste from calamari. 

1 comment:

JP said...

An expanding "pallet"?