Thursday, June 19, 2008

Kyoto











I am currently making my one trip outside of Tokyo, which is going to Kyoto.  I've heard from many sources that if you go one place in Japan, it should be Kyoto.  I feel a little unfamiliar with Kyoto after preparing so much to be staying in Tokyo.  But, I felt it was worth a couple of days to visit another city and explore a little more of Japan, especially while I have the opportunity of being here.  I was very excited to also take the famed "Bullet train" from Tokyo to Kyoto.  Aptly named, this was surely the fastest train I've ever ridden on.   Racing across the landscape in the shinkansen, I was able to get a quick grasp of the extreme scale of Tokyo.











Another picture taken on the way through Tokyo, while riding the train.  I think this was taken as we were moving from central to south Tokyo.











This was still in Tokyo, but near Yokohama, which almost bleeds through into one another.  Smaller buildings are prominent, but still compactly close together.











About an hour outside of the 'suburbs' of Tokyo and Yokohama, we came close to the sea.  A welcomed site for me, having not left the city since I've arrived.











This led into mountains, which were beautiful to see and probably don't quite resonate in this photo.











Which eventually led to rice patty fields and farmers working.  It had an extremely idealistic feeling to it all, but very fascinating to see.














The brand new train station at Kyoto was very nice.  This grand, double-decker hallway was near the tourist information center.  A very impressive sight, just stepping off the train.














The street where I am staying at the ryokan in Kyoto.  I've noticed that it is not as built up as Tokyo, which makes sense for its smaller population- 1.47 million.  That is still a fairly large city by American standards, but the low-level buildings make it feel like a much smaller city.











I found this sign very amusing, posted inside my door to my room, which states "When emergency cover your mouth with your handkerchief".  I didn't know that I was supposed to have a handkerchief with me while staying at this ryokan.














This is the small, but clean and affordable Japanese-style room where I am staying.  The very convivial ryokan is conveniently located near central Kyoto and the train station.  More on Kyoto and my visit in a later post.

1 comment:

Scott said...

“HANDKERCHIEF, n. A small square of silk or linen, used in various ignoble offices about the face and especially serviceable at funerals to conceal the lack of tears. The handkerchief is of recent invention; our ancestors knew nothing of it and intrusted its duties to the sleeve." - Ambrose Bierce

So, I guess if you have to race out through a smoke filled hallway (g-d forbid!), you're out of luck if you're wearing a short sleeve shirt.