Saturday, June 21, 2008

Kyoto - Day Two











Starting out Day Two in Kyoto, I had intended to do a couple of drawings of the city, but it was pouring down rain.  So, I decided to visit a few sights, which I do feel over the past couple of weeks has turned into less sightseeing and more research for my work.  I've been getting a lot of ideas that I feel can be brought into my paintings and drawings, once I return.  I went to a series of sights in Northwestern Kyoto, about a 20-30 minute bus ride from the main Kyoto train station.  Pictured is Kinkaku-Ji, a very famous Zen Golden Temple, covered in gold-foil.  











I love that reflection in the water, I felt like I couldn't take enough pictures of this beautiful sight.











A close up view of the temple, near the temple gardens.











This was on a pathway away from the temple, which took me through the gardens, everyone was trying to get their coins in the bowl-shaped rock in the center.  I wonder how much money is actually on the ground there?











A tea ceremony room, near the temple gates.  Everything was in Japanese, so this was all I could gather about this from a nearby guide speaking to a larger group of people.











On to the next sight, Ryoan-Ji, by far my favorite temple in Kyoto and possibly my favorite in all of Japan.  These were the stairs leading to the main building of Ryoan-Ji.  











Which brought me to this, a garden arranged in the kare-sansui (dry-landscape) style.  A small collection of 15 rocks, adrift in a sea of sand and small rocks, enclosed in an earthen wall.  This is the first Zen rock garden, said to be laid out by Saomi, a painter and gardener who died in 1525.  This was an absolutely amazing experience to sit here and just think or let my mind wander.  I know it doesn't look like much, but when you are there it really is a moving experience and very meditative.











This large rock, engraved with Japanese characters was on the grounds of Ninna-ji, my next site.  I only walked around a small portion of this sight and it didn't seem like anyone else was around and I was a little unsure whether or not it was open.  So, I moved on.











These were the gardens that held Myoshin-ji, a Zen temple complex consisting of 40 temples dating back to the 14 century and Taizo-in, a garden in the southwestern corner of the grounds.  The stone path in the right hand side of the picture led through the entire complex, but it didn't seem like anything was open to view from the inside.











Another one of the temples that made up the Myoshin-ji temple grounds.














On to the following sight, the Bamboo Garden Path, which was located in an area by the name of Arashiyama- about a 10 minute ride west of the Myoshin-ji grounds.  The path led from the nearest street back for about a 10 minute walk and was completely full of bamboo trees.  It was all I could see around me while walking on this path, which was a great experience.  It became very moving, with the rain falling and the light being so low, late in the day.











The bamboo trees created a sort of canopy enveloping the pathway overhead.  














There were quite a few people on the path, but I was lucky enough to time out my photos when no one was around.














Towards the end of the path these young men in traditional clothing were taking people back to the beginning of the path near the road via rickshaw.  A great photo opportunity for me. 











I'm not sure what the name of this is, but it was near the bamboo groves, at the end of the path.  Very peaceful, little walkway in the middle of this small patch of grass.














After another 30 minute bus ride back towards my ryokan, I had one more stop on my list because it was only two blocks from where I was staying.  I thought best to go see it now, before I run out of time.  Pictured above is Nishi Hongan-ji, built in 1591 as the headquarters of Jodo Shin-shu school of Buddhism.  The temple contained 5 buildings total, featuring some of the best examples of architecture and artistic achievement of the Azuchi-Momoyama period (1568-1600).












The long walkway up to the main entryway of the temple grounds.












The main entryway of the temple grounds, a very beautifully and ornate structure made from wood.














The main doorway of the temple grounds, which was really impressive.  You can see the detailed craftsmanship in the top section of the wood- Incredible.












This is Daisho-in Hall, the only structure currently available to view of the entire complex until 2010, because of restoration.











After this final temple it was nearing six in the evening and I had been out since about nine in the morning.  I was beyond tired and ready for a little break from temples.  Turning around from the temple complex was this gate, a short two block walk to my ryokan from here.  It turned out to be a great day, full of some great sights and ideas for my work.  I feel I definitely did my best to see all I could and experience all that I could while visiting each sight.  It is said that there are more than 1,600 Buddhist temples and over 400 Shinto shrines in Kyoto, more than can be seen in a few years, I'm sure.     


2 comments:

Chris Beers said...

These temples seem like my kind of thing, escpecially the zen garden and the pathway through the forest. It's all one big temple to me to be honest, earth that is :)

That one picture you took of the traditional tea room looks like a painting to me. I thought it was one of yours at first but I guess Japan has thing for being picturesque.

JP said...

Beautiful. Amazing that with so many visitors these areas still seem so peaceful.