Sunday, June 8, 2008

Tokyo











This post might seem a little too late, I intended to do this when I first arrived.  But, nevertheless I wanted to say a few things about Tokyo and Japanese culture.  Tokyo is comprised of 23 wards, each administratively a city in its own right, constituting the area considered the "city of Tokyo".  Collectively, these wards make up the largest city in the world, with a metropolitan population around 12 million.  (For reference, the New York City population is around 8 million) However, The Greater Tokyo Area, including Chiba, Kanagawa and Saitama, is the most populous metropolitan area in the world, with a population of over 35 million people.  It is absolutely astounding to wrap your brain around this, but hopefully these pictures will help illustrate the staggering size.  I truly had to catch my breath at the sight of this and what I shot was only a small section of the city.  I have to go back to a second observation deck to see the rest of the city sometime this week.  These were all shot from the 'North Tower Observation Deck' of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building.  They are either looking west or northwest.  There was a cafe perfectly placed in the way of the east facing windows, which is also what would truly be considered the 'city of Tokyo'.  What I shot is really the "outskirts". 









































































I also wanted to add in closing this post how absolutely amazing I've found this city and culture.  Each day has been a truly amazing experience for me and much of this has to do with the people who make up this incredible city.  I've never felt so welcomed into a place, because of the extreme hospitality by everyone that I've come into contact with.  Every day has shown me something new about the city and the people who make it what it is.  Along with this, I've been amazed at how revealing everything about the contemporary culture traces its roots back to old traditions.  Even something like the local 'manga' culture can trace its origins to Edo-era ukiyo-e (woodblock prints).  As much as I've been "trying to do it all" and check everything off my list; my favorite and most memorable experiences so far have been those that happened with no agenda.  Finding the unexpected funky shop to look through weird items for sale, stumbling on the tucked away shrine amongst the urban jungle, eating food on my plate without recognizing what it is or taking in breathtaking views; like the ones shown above.

No comments: