Monday, June 16, 2008

Shibuya & Akihabara














Today I ventured into Shibuya, which was a very busy shopping area, and Akihabara, considered "Electric City" in Tokyo.  Shibuya was my first stop and kind of reminded me of Shinjuku for a couple of reasons.  It had a similar feel, with a lot of over-stimulating visuals and sounds.  It was also packed with stores and shops in a small area.  But, the biggest similarity was all of the people walking around.














Shibuya has a very famous crosswalk- Shibuya Crossing.  It is constantly flooded with people.  Just as a reminder this was a Monday afternoon.  I have no idea what all of these people were up to or what jobs they have that let them walk around and do nothing.














I did feel that this area had a little more of a contemporary feel to it than Shinjuku.  The architecture looked a little newer, along with the technology of the lights and videos displayed on and inside the buildings. 














I love all the colors of the signs and sounds of shopkeepers yelling, along with music blaring and video screens playing random commercials, culminating in complete over-stimulation.









It was just amazing to me how many people were out on a Monday afternoon.  I know this is a huge city, but I kept trying to figure out why they were all there.














On to Akihabara, which has been coined "Electric City".  This is more for the electronics sold at multiple stores around the area.  I haven't really been too pressed to explore this area, but it turned out to be pretty interesting.  














This was around the corner from the train station and seemed to be a huge row of street-facing shops selling anything and everything related to electronic devices that could be found in this area- including computers, cameras, video game consoles and televisions.  









You could also buy everything to make your own electronic device or replace a part broken in your current device, such as these wire casings.














Random selection of light bulbs, all sizes and colors.









And more random wires and miscellaneous electronic related items.

1 comment:

JP said...

Those are cool pics. Although, the area reminds me a little of Debbie Gibson for some reason.

I think I would dig the atmosphere of it all too. Crazy over-stimulation but still normal somehow.